Here you can see whats left of the load bearing wall that is going to give us 2 more feet in our 8 foot wide kitchen. There is only 2 studs left supporting the ceiling joists above. I've sistered the 2x4 joists above and they are not ending on top of this wall but it does help decrease the span as 2x4s are too small to make this span unassisted. Our house was built in 1941 and is lightly built as far as I can tell.
I just bought a 10 foot 4x10 beam to put above the joists, allowing them to hang from this beam. It's sitting in our living room now waiting for 3 strong people to hoist it into the attic! It was sitting outside in the rain at the lumber yard so hopefully once it drys out it will be lighter.
After consulting with Cheryl's Dad, Jackie the plan is to jack up the wall slightly so it's not saging then attached the joists to the beam with "huricane ties".


No comments:
Post a Comment