April 17, 2009

Cutting 240 volt wires is bad


Hi everyone, so just when I thought the kitchen was in the home stretch and the hard work was done.... I took a few steps in reverse. It's about the half wall which will be our breakfast bar and our opening to the living room. It still seems a little weak and it worries me that 140 lbs of steel and granite will be cantilevered off one side. Corbels won't help because the weight will take the wall down with the granite.

In the above picture you can see the left cabinet attached with a cover panel to cover a weird gap between it and the wall. Attaching the cabinet made it a lot sturdier but still not as sturdy as I like. So I added more support....






This bracket really stiffened up the wall on the backside and would be hidden by the oven. I had to cut into the wall to add a stud for it to attach to then I had to re mud the wall the pros did. I'm not a pro, but his wall shouldn't show.

Well after more thought and research I still thought this wasn't enough and I couldn't fit any more of these triangle braces where I needed them....




So I tore apart my perfectly drywalled half wall... And while I was cutting away carefully avoiding the wires I remembered putting in the wall. BOOOOOOOM!



The Sawzall sliced through my new 240 Volt oven wire, taking a huge chunk out of the blade and sending a pungent black cloud of burnt ozone into the room. Thank god I wasn't electrocuted and the sawzall still works. I guess I've become a little to comfortable using the sawzall and didn't take the proper precautions. Not remembering that loop I put in the wire. Luckily I think I will have enough slack left to cut off the damaged end of the most expensive wire I've put in so far.

But back to the half wall... The plan is to add studs, glue, a piece of plywood instead of drywall on the kitchen side, and most importantly steel attached to a floor joist. This means more of what I hate.... Under the house time! Stay tuned.

No comments: