April 29, 2009

So happy to have the kitchen back

Last night Cheryl cranked up the new stove and made some pasta and some tea, it was so nice to not eat frozen meals anymore! I put some more silicone around the sink drain so we have a sink again too! It feels like a home again instead of a construction site... We still have along way to go but everything is manageable.

Our sink doesn't drain right because the new one is deeper than our last and the drain into the wall is higher than the outlet from the disposal. Water doesn't go up hill naturally at least. So when we flip on the disposal the standing water in it sprays up in our faces... yummy. But for now it works ok. I will have to tear the wall open and lower the drain and or remove the disposal to get a few more inches in drain height.

Sewer leak? What sewer leak? We thought we had one in our basement a few month ago. I had to re-route some vent pipes and I thought I had disconnected one wrong. The smell was bad downstairs and coincided with the plumbing work. After removing some drywall on the wall and ceiling in the down stairs bathroom I still couldn't find it. Argggggggg....

BUT! Turns out we didn't have one! The smell was coming from a roll of roofing tar paper I had downstairs, it stunk and was off gassing bad things. I moved it outside and a week later the smell was gone. Now the only smell we smell is upstairs from all the subfloor (liquid nails) glue and the granite glue... It still stinks.

No comments: