April 9, 2009

Photos: Then to Cabinets - catch up

Here's a set of photos from after I tore down the plaster between the kitchen and living rooms until we had the drywall mudded and kitchen gutted. I still need to go way back and post more photos of the original kitchen for it to be clear what we did.


All cabinets are out and so is the window.




Drywall really changes the look of the room, all of a sudden lots of our light was blocked out that we used to get from the kitchen through the wall framing.


Last view of all our cabinets intact. We swapped the white 18" dishwasher for a stainless version for $0. Notice how low the upper cabinets come down. They are too close to the counter for my taste.




In the above pic you can see a black floor. This is the glue or tar that is covering the original oak hardwood in the kitchen. We had to scrape it down to make it as level as possible but the hardwood underneath was a goner. We wanted it to be the same level as the living room. 5 levels of flooring were taken off to get to this point in the kitchen.

- 1 Ikea laminate floor we put down -25mins to remove
- 1 peel and stick vinyl floor stuck to 1/2 mdf - 2 hours to remove with circular saw
- 3 linoleum floor below the others - 20ish man hours to remove with scraper and heat gun.

Also you can see the breakfast bar wall is frame in. This is where I can start to see the opening is smaller than I wanted. I needed all 64" for the bar though and the doorway is 1 1/2" wider than before so I can't complain too much.



Beam is up, probably over kill but it will bear the weight of the wall behind the fridge. Also with this 4x10 header our door way headers will be uniform through out house. Notice I used old jack and king stud at right of header. This I later changed. Also I wish I would have made the beam 1 foot longer. It was hard to visualize what teh doorway would look like at this stage.

Wall is mostly gone. This was a non-load bearing wall so no problem.

No comments: